August 03, 2007

Eleyn's Baby Shower

Last month we threw an office baby shower for one of my co-workers. I love showers because the possibilities are endless when it comes to themes, decorations, and of course - food! We decided to go with an afternoon dessert party (instead of the usual pot luck lunch), asking co-workers to bring in various desserts and drinks. As for the theme - baby monkeys! Eleyn is a monkey fanatic and registered for lots of jungle/safari baby stuff, so went from there.
The colors were baby blue, pale yellow, and brown. Using tissue boxes I created these "baby blocks," featuring a baby monkey and the letters of the baby's name - Apollo. I stacked them up on the tables as centerpieces and stuck a monkey mask on them. Basically I saw the monkey masks at the store and just HAD to have them. There was no real plan there, but they worked.
For my dessert, I made a monkey cake, inspired by Martha of course. Instead of using her chocolate banana recipe (which I am a bit Leary of), I went with my own chocolate raspberry creation. It was a chocolate cake with raspberry filling and chocolate raspberry buttercream icing.And finally - the gifts! We took up a collection from the office and went crazy buying stuff from Eleyn's registry. I must say - she made out like a bandit! We got her a playpen and filled it to the max with bottles, blankets, grooming and first aid kits, etc. And of course, topped it off with an adorable stuffed monkey! Other people brought their own gifts as well, including clothes, diapers, etc. I wanted to add my own personal touch, so I painted up these letters for the nursery wall. Keeping with the jungle theme, I had a ball doing these! And yes, those zebra stripes are all free handed! I must admit, I am rather proud of that "L" :)
Chocolate-Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (melted)
1 tsp. raspberry extract/flavoring
Cream butter with electric mixer. Add chocolate and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed and beat until light and fluffy. If frosting is too thick or too dry, add milk or cream, one teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency.

No comments: