September 02, 2007

Cocktail Party

This post is a little late, but the Internet hasn’t been very kind to me the last few days. Regardless, I’ll be sharing a few “cocktail party” recipes. These are some creations I came up with for a cocktail party I hosted a while back. They key to a good cocktail party is lots of finger foods, a few sweet treats, and of course cocktails. I like to go simple, offer a small variety of drinks, rather than a full bar. This not only cuts down cost, but also ensures you aren’t pouring drinks all night. Likewise, finger foods keep you out of the kitchen and keep your guests mingling.

For this party, I had red and white wine (two buck chuck from Trader Joes of course), and Black Raspberry Martinis with a pink sugar rim (It was a girly party). Bottled water and a few non-alcoholic options are also a must!Also in that picture is the chocolate fountain I set up for dessert. Chocolate fountains are always a hit! I had fruit, ladyfingers, and cheesecake balls for dipping.

Cheese and crackers are a must at cocktail parties. I like to set out the usual sliced cheese, along with a little something fancy – brie, stilton, pesto torte, etc. Also, a variety of crackers can really spice up your platter. Olives and pickles set out in small bowls are a nice addition too.

Here are two of the recipes I created for this party. They are pretty easy and can be made up a few hours ahead of time. For this first one, I’ll be honest, I really didn’t measure anything. I just kept adding ingredients to the bowl until it tasted right.

Endive Cups

Ingredients:
Endive Spears
1 Pear (diced)
Gorgonzola Cheese
Prociutto
Sweet Vinaigrette (I used a papaya seed dressing from Maui, but any kind you like will work)
Caramelized Pecan Halves

Directions:
1. Cut prociutto slices into small pieces.
2. Toss desired amount of pear, prociuttto, and gorgonzola in a large bowl. Lightly drizzle vinaigrette and mix through.
3. Place a spoonful of the mixture onto each endive spear.
4. Garnish each with a caramelized pecan half.

Caprese Skewers

Ingredients:
Grape Tomatoes
Small Mozzarella Balls
Fresh Basil
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinaigrette
Toothpicks

Directions:
1. Thread 1 grape tomato, 1 basil leaf, and 1 mozzarella ball onto each toothpick
2. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette over skewers, and finish them off with a little cracked pepper

No comments: